This course will cover tools and technologies that allow a user/software-developer to understand their energy usage in terms of energy analysis of the software that is being deployed on the system.
We will give you a complete overview on how to optimize the use of computing systems and application development for the purpose of energy efficiency, rather than keeping a focus on performance or memory usage. You will learn how to do green coding and work with applications in a sustainable way. Some of the main topics will include:
- Overview of the data center energy footprint
- Energy usage and energy-aware computing on HPC systems
- Large-scale application performance and energy analysis
- Application characterization and optimization for energy efficiency
- Everyone interested in learning how to understand energy usage of their software.
- Basic knowledge of Linux
- Basic programming experience is recommended
You should have:
Your own laptop with an up-to-date browser and a terminal emulator. The use of the operating systems Linux and macOS is preferred, but not mandatory. For Windows users we recommend to download MobaXterm (portable version) as terminal emulator.
Course Material: Git repro
Important note for online participation
This course will be organized at the SURF office in Amsterdam, where the trainers will be able to have direct interaction with the participants for hands-on exercises. For online participants, the support for hands-on exercises will be very limited. if you are very interested in doing hands-on exercises, we highly encourage that you participate in this course at the SURF office in Amsterdam.
Science Park 140
1098 XG Amsterdam or Online